Today, the Theodor Zink Museum bears the name of the teacher and local historian who originally created the basis for this collection. The museum, at that time the Kaiserslautern City Museum, first opened its doors in October 1934, housed in the old alms house on Stiftsplatz square. In 1941, during the Second World War, the museum was closed, and only opened again in 1978 in a former inn known as “Zum Rheinkreis” at the end of Steinstrasse. Since 1978, the city museum, now known as the Theodor-Zink-Museum, has been housed in this building and the Wadgasserhof - an old medieval hospital - located opposite. The museum presents a permanent collection on the history of the city, as well as a series of temporary special exhibitions on a variety of topics.